If you're a regular reader of this blog, then you know I love decorating in a rustic yet modern style. My house has a great kitchen. In fact, it was the main reason we bought the house. But the kitchen had ZERO character. It looked like the standard “builder” kitchen. It had great granite countertops, but had that basic “bathroom tile” back splash in a bland color. And where the back splash ended, the slightly off white “standard builder paint color” walls began.
Almost immediately after moving in, I added brushed bronze hardware to the cabinets. I put up some wall decor, etc. but it couldn't give the kitchen the personality I was looking for. Despite our house being less than 5 years old, I wanted the kitchen to have a more rustic, warm, older feel (some might say a primitive or farmhouse look).
We also had a great breakfast bar but the near white paint on the outer walls began to get filthy once we bought stools for it. I decided the outside of the island needed to be tiled. And I need things to match, so if the outside of the island was getting tiled, then the kitchen back splash was going to have to be changed to match it.
And so I went in search of the perfect tile. And that search took me months. No lie. I needed to find a tile that could give the kitchen the feel I was looking for. And then I found it.
Jeffrey Court's Satin Copper 11.5 in. x 12 in. x 8 mm Copper Slate Mosaic Wall Tile. That was THE tile. It wasn't cheap, but it was gorgeous. We went with this mushroom grout to ensure the tile didn't appear “too” dark when it was done.
We repainted the kitchen with Glidden's Sahara Desert to give it a warmer tone. I chose to keep the white baseboards, outlets and door because I really liked the contrast.
Side note: The stools in the photos are these. Since I was very particular on what color I wanted, it just made sense to buy unfinished saddle stools, distress them and then stain them with Minwax's Dark Walnut stain.
I switched out a few pieces of the decor and added a few as well, but I'd been collecting them for a while. I'll list the store I got some of them at for y'all at the end of this post.
Before & After Pictures
What we used
- Tile: Jeffrey Court's Satin Copper 11.5 in. x 12 in. x 8 mm Copper Slate Mosaic Wall Tile
- Grout: Standard Mushroom colored grout
- Paint: Sahara Desert by Glidden
- Stools: I purchased the unfinished saddle stools here
- Stain for stools: Dark Walnut by Minwax
- Pig Sign: I think this is my favorite piece in the kitchen. the pig sign says Carrington Farms. You can find it here.
- Grocery Sign: I bought that at my local Hobby Lobby – they've since sold out of it since I originally published this post, but you can find a similar one here.
- Paper Towel Holder: I got my lone star / Texas star holder on Amazon here.
- Bread Box: I got the lone star / Texas star bread box on Etsy here in the Dark stain. It definitely wasn't cheap, but it was extremely high quality.
If you see something in the picture and want to know where I got it, let me know in the comments below. 🙂